Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Windows XP / 7 LAN Connection overriding and cutting LAN Internet Connection

As part of my work I usually have to connect one or more VPN sessions and I used to find that be it my Windows XP PC or Windows 7 laptop after a while the VPN Connection shuts down my Local Area Network's internet connection which in turn causes the VPN connection to go off. First I tried disabling the Firewall on the AVG Internet Security 2011 which is always an irritation by changing of network profiles when I connect or disconnect to other networks.

Disabling of Firewall however provided only a short respite as though indicators are not coming my LAN connection is still being cut.

So finally I searched around and found this article.

Whirlpool.net

A few posts down I saw the correct suggestion to this error:

Properties>Networking>Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4>Properties>Advanced>IP Settings

Here the option named:

"Use default gateway on remote networks"

would be ticked. Disabling this feature would stop the error and VPN connection would not cut the LAN based internet connection.

So what I figure out from this is that when VPN is connected its session forces my PC to use its default gateway instead of the default gateway as provided by my LAN/ISP. Basically the VPN connection forces the machine to use the internet connection at the Remote Site's network instead of the actual gateway of my LAN to get internet. Basically a cart pulling the horse analogy.

Having corrected that option in both my Windows XP PC and Windows 7 Laptop I am able to use VPN comfortably. And yeah the AVG Internet Security 2011's Firewall is kept disabled while I work. Those profile changes are too irritating.

No comments:

Post a Comment